The Christmases of Little Women are a unique glimpse into the American Christmas scene through the eyes of Louisa May Alcott, who sets the story in the early 1860s. This story will open your eyes to the magic of books. Become immersed in the characters of a novel and enchanted with the loves and lives of the sisters' Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy, and of course friend Laurie. "Little Women" has the grace and charm of the 18th century and is a sparkling look into the fascinating world of girls as they become women. I recommend this classic novel to readers of all ages.
- 2.75 inches
- laser cut border
- iron-on backing
Little Women Patch Activity
Fall in love with Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women. The story of sisterhood like no other, set in New England during the American civil war, Little Women is the story of the four March sisters and their struggles to overcome their character flaws. The movie touches on sisterhood, connection, female empowerment, creativity, the power of family, and independence, which I believe are all traits that we need to celebrate!
· Reading Activity: Motivate the girls with background information about the story and read aloud the story's first page with a dramatic style. Encourage girls to read the book and watch the movie with their family or the girls in the troop during the holidays. Check out Greta Gerwig’s 2019 movie, critically-acclaimed version. Get everyone to do a written or spoken review of Little Women. Compare opinions.
· Experience the Orchard House Virtually - Orchard House is a historic house museum in Concord, Massachusetts, US, opened to the public on 27 May 1912. It was the longtime home of Amos Bronson Alcott and his family, including his daughter Louisa May Alcott, who wrote and set her novel Little Women there. Take a Virtual Tour of Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House and download a lesson
· Little Women Cooking Delight - Regardless of whether you prefer the book or the movie adaptations, you know food plays an important role in Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women. Explore making a new dessert such as “Blancmange” it is a classic pudding-like dessert that is typically made in a mold. In the book, it is a treat that Meg makes for Laurie when he is sick, as it is said to be good for sore throat. Lookup a recipe for this delicious easy to make treats, and enjoy making it with your girls. You can also order a Little Women Cookbook Tempting Recipes from the March Sisters, with easy to follow recipes, including quotes from the book, and read the facts about where recipes come from.
· Act it out - Ready, Set, Action! The March sisters enjoyed dressing up and acting out plays and skits. Play a simple Kim’s game by taking large brown paper bags and filling them with random props. Hats, scarfs, pots, pans, toys, clothing, etc.. divide girls into small groups, have each group take a bag, and create a small skit to present to others using the props in their bags. Make sure everyone in the group has at least one prop.
· Every Christmas, the March sisters created ornaments and decorated them for a holiday. Here are 3 examples of homemade ornaments you can make with your girls. Try using dried oranges to create garlands by stringing the slices together, use small sewing hoops to make ornaments. You can attach paper or fabric onto the hoops and use ribbons to hang them, have girls draw out a simple holiday design on the fabric or paper, and stitch onto it with colorful tread. Make homemade potpourri jars as gifts; add cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, bay leaves, orange peel, cranberries, and fresh slices of lemon. Cover jars with a piece of fabric and tie with ribbon, add a tag with instructions: add ingredients to a small pot and simmer with a little water. Enjoy the beautiful scent of the holidays!
· Share the Holiday Cheer - Sharing food and the importance of giving to those in need is another meaningful part of the storyline. Partner with your local shelter, food pantry, or community organization that supports those in need and volunteer to help with your girls in any way you can.
· Enjoying this classic movie with your girls can be fun but even more fun with an interactive movie night bingo game! To play, each guest gets a bingo card. Create 4 printable, randomized bingo cards in total with actions or scenery that appear in the movie: someone cries, characters hug each other, scenes of nature, life lesson, etc.… You then mark off each bingo square as and when they appear in the movie. The first person to complete a row of squares (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal) shots “BINGO” and wins! Visit BirdsParty.com for Bingo Cards and a party pack. For personal use only.
· Little Women Lesson Plan by Sony Pictures https://www.greatbooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Little-Women-Lesson-Plans-Sony-v2.pdf
· Learn to make a DIY Book Purse - https://seekatesew.com/how-to-make-a-diy-zipper-book-purse/
· Embroider - Celebrate Little women with this free embroidery pattern by Brown Paper Bag.
· Look the part - Look up one of the many videos on YouTube and learn to style your hair like the March sisters.
· Through an afternoon Tea Party with your friends and discuss the characters from Little Women. Include these Tea Party Bingo Cards